What is required under CalOPPA?
- A list of the categories of personally identifiable information the operator collects;
- A list of the categories of third parties with whom the operator may share such personally identifiable information;
- A description of the process (if any) by which the consumer can review and request changes to his or her personally identifiable information as collected by the operator;
The average U.S. adult reads at an 8th grade reading level. The clear majority of Fortune 500 privacy policies in the study require a reading comprehension level beyond that of the average U.S. adult. 82% of those privacy policies required a college-level reading ability.
- California can seek statutory penalties of $2,500.00 for each user who accesses the site;
- FTC civil penalties of up to $10,000 for each violation.See, Commission Rule 1.98(d), 16 C.F.R. Sec. 1.98(d).
- COPPA penalties: $42,530.